Mar 21, 2013

Kathaa is straight from the heart: Prashant Rasaily

Being focused on Nepali cinema industry these days, I am having quite some posts lately regarding Nepali movies, and some Interviews. Now I am here to post some words from a film maker who has done extremely well for two of his movies- Kagbeni (being the scriptwriter) and Acharya (Directorial debut).
I had a chance of talking with him when his latest movie Kathaa is being released this Friday. Prashant Rasaily's Kathaa has already been the talk of the town, which was shot in high altitude of Gnathang, East Sikkim and has a love story of a stuttering man and a mute girl, starring Saugat Malla, Usha Rajak and Timothy Rai and all other casts were taken from the local village itself. Another exciting part of the movie is it was made without a script and was filmed with some torch lights.  As he was very busy promoting Kathaa, I somehow managed to have some words from him, though I don't think its a complete Interview ( which I will do complete it someday!!!).
Here is how Prashant has expressed his views with my queries.

RDMAN: How is the promotion going with Kathaa? 
Prashant: Kathaa’s promotion’s still fighting the financial threshold but, Nepali media has affectionately forwarded their loving support to our small film and is really helping us spread the good words. Our heartfelt gratitude to them.
RDMAN: How would you like to call your Movie? Art movie or some experimental movie?
Prashant: Kathaa is a commercial movie with some Art and experiments on it.

RDMAN: How did you have this whole idea of making a film without a script and with just flash lights?
Prashant: In terms of the story I observed Gnathang was the navigator and we were just following what it 
presented us and the flashlight Idea was something I really wanted to get my hands on. I have always 
experimented with the tools of filmmaking and the flashlight Idea was one of the risks I wanted to 
take. It was almost like “Make it or break it”. But deep down, I knew I would make it... and I did.
RDMAN: Do you think experimenting new things brings new genre and attracts more people to theaters?
Prashant: I don’t think experiments should be done to attract audience to the theater. But, it should be done to show how you see things…any illustrations shown with a lot of faith, speaks to every heart.
RDMAN: Are you thinking of making any commercial Hindi movie?
Prashant: Commercial yes! But not Masala for sure.
RDMAN: What is the current scenario of Nepali film industry?
Prashant: I don’t think I’m in a position to Judge. I’m just another “New Kid in Town”.
RDMAN: Where do you see Nepali movie industry in coming 5 years?
Prashant: In a better place than today…
RDMAN: What is the latest Nepali movie that you have watched and how was it?
Prashant: Loot… Enjoyed thoroughly.
RDMAN: How was Acharya business... I heard it didn't go well with the business though it was very nicely made.
Prashant: A craftsman puts his heart and soul in his craft, but if the shopkeeper decides to throw the piece of 
someone’s heart in the corner, then nobody can help… After all he is only a craftsman.
RDMAN: What do you think, how many kinds of genre are here in Nepali cinema industry?
Prashant: Haven’t watched too many films, so I really have no Idea about that.
RDMAN: How many recognition accolades Kathaa has got till now... I mean the film festival selection?
Prashant: Was in the “India gold category” in Mumbai film festival 2012. Was also one of the most recommended films in the festival. “Kathaa” has also got a special invitation for the 37th Goteborg International film festival.
RDMAN: With Whom you would like to work from current Nepali actors and why?
Prashant: I would definitely love to work with Jharana Brajacharya, I saw her work long time back and I was really impressed though we have not met before.
RDMAN: What should be the vision of Nepali filmmakers to make people come to theaters?
Prashant: Well, I cannot say what should be the vision of other filmmakers. But, to me, complete sincerity 
towards my work each time, is must.
RDMAN: If you have to tell Kathaa in two words, what would that be?
Prashant: Straight from the Heart.
RDMAN: Lastly what message do you have to all those aspirant filmmakers? 
Prashant: Follow your heart and don’t let the world tell you “You can’t”… Because you can!!!

0 comments

Post a Comment