Dec 11, 2012

How to know shutter count of a camera?

I happen to hear sometime before that there is some life of a camera be it Point and shoot or DSLR but I was not clear how and why the camera life degrades until recently. Camera's mechanical part especially Shutter actuation have some normal life before it starts to show some abnormality. I used to do burst mode shots for panning and even take lot of shots for the same landscape. After knowing this, I have started saving some shots for my Nikon D5100 whose shutter life expectancy is believed to be 100,000 and I already have 31262 in just one year span. Now the question you may ask is how I counted your shutter actuation. Actually there are many methods (different for different camera types) using different applications or websites.

Cannn: As Cannon does not store the shutter release number in the EXIF data, you need a program to check shutter count. EOS info is one of the most used program to check the shutter count. After downloading and Installing the program, connect your camera with the computer using a cable and
run the program to find the total Image count. You may even try Camerashuttercount.com for your canon camera.

Nikon: Nikon does store the shutter release count info in the EXIF data. So to get the image count,you
can either use My shutter count or use Opanda IExif.

For Sony cameras, if you have not reset your file name, then the file name has the number of image it has taken. Otherwise there is no guarantee of using other means to get the shutter actuation.


0 comments

Post a Comment