Mar 2, 2013

CG to enter into Telecom sector.

Chaudhary Group, one of the biggest business house of Nepal (popular for electronic products and food/beverages) is all set to enter the telecom market with the brand name CG tel. After acquiring 80 percent Shares of the American company STM Telecommunication Services, CG tel is eager to launch their services within six months. Remaining 20 percent share of STM Telecom Sanchar is owned by a Nepali company named AR investment.
STM telecommunication had been running rural telephones in villages of about 50 districts and has the largest PCO network in Nepal under the name "Gramintel". They are also providing services like tele-medicince, international calls, tele-centre in the rural areas, and have a subscriber base of about 5350 (according to NTA latest MIS). STM telecom had also applied for the unified license to NTA (Nepalese Telecommunication Authority) which if they get, allows them to operate different telecom services through a single license, with huge license fee of Rs 377.5 million. Though NTA is examining the applicants for the unified license, the regulatory body won't be able to do the big decision in the absence of their Chairman (whose appointment is stayed by Supreme court).

Chaudhary Group was very keen in investing in the telecom sector from many years but due to unavailability of enough frequency spectrum and huge license fee for new operator, they were mum to wait for amicable time. And this unified license fulfills their awaited desire and will enable them to use many telecom services like GSM, CDMA through a single license. 


Post a Comment