Sep 11, 2015

Gaijatra Mahotsav Comedy (in pics)

Sep 11, 2015: Every year majority of comedians in Nepal celebrate the festival of cow: Gaijatra like Dashain, as they make huge money out of the Gaijatra show. It is this time of the year when major comedians (from TV/film, radio) unite together to perform at Academy Hall, Kamaladi. This year is no different as the comedians from TV serials like "Tito satya", "Jire Khursani" and "Meri Bassai" performed the "Tite Jire Meri Bassai" Gaijatra Mahotsav at Pragya Pratisthan Hall for more than a week. Some of the actors in the collaboration are also together for making comedy movies like the blockbuster "Cha Ekan cha" and they even used the platform to promote their upcoming movie "Woda number cha". Actors like Deepak Raj Giri, Deepa Shree Niraula, Shivahari Paudel, Kedar Ghimire (Magne Buda), Wilson Bikram Rai (Takme Buda), Rajaram Poudel, Kiran KC (Rata Makai), Comic Poet: Shailendra Simkhada, Singer/Musician Tika Bhandari are the main highlight of the show. Caricature of General Administration Minister Lal Babu Pandit by Manoj Gajurel was also one of the best act in the show according to news but he was not there for the show I attended, as he already left abroad for some other shows. Others actors missing in this years Gaijatra were Nirmal Sharma (Gaida), Jitu Nepal (Mundre), Sitaram Kattel (Dhurmus) and Suntali (Kunjana Ghimire), but the reason behind their absence are not known.
Though it was fun to laugh at the satire to the misery in our country, most of the themes/messages are repetitive (like Ethnic and religious Harmony, Earthquake) and felt could have targeted more social political mishaps. Some vulgar and erotic lines are always there, that tickles us for more laugh which is also a part of the Gaijatra. Other than the shows, some dances (that I think unnecessary), stand up by Host Raja Rajendra, parody by Tika Bhandari and poem by Shailendra Simkhada were also there.
Having said all that, I must not forget to appreciate their efforts in giving the message of keeping the harmony among nepali people in such a crucial moment. Hats off to all the organizers.
I know it was prohibited to take video inside the hall but for pictures I could not resist myself. As I had no any intention to make the video act, I aim my camera for long for some clear shots in long range zoom that made the personnel (who were there to scrutiny unauthorized video) kept on coming towards to stop me. I did not stop as I know it is not illegal to take photos and without flash for not disturbing others but I did stopped the person by me side who was taking video secretly. 
Here are some of the pictures from the event. (click to enlarge)
  









0 comments

Post a Comment